Thursday 12 March 2015

Pretenders...we all

He wanted it...He wanted me to laugh. So I laughed.

She wanted it, so I cracked my ribs

I smile at everybody and everything just to cover up my sorrow. I hang around people, make silly jokes and make them envy me.... I remember when my ex bf broke up with me over a phone call in the middle of the night. I got to work laughing like crazy over funny and not-funny things cos I didn't want to cry.

I pretend to be happy single. No need being sad, right?

But every now and then, I ask myself...Dola, how happy are you?

I remember this poem I wrote...THE PRETENDER...

They watched the outrageous drama
Staged by me and their impressions
With me clamouring on their rising ovation
They thought I had it all
One beautiful actress I must have been

Staging the play with other actors
Consciously and merely conscious
Gifted and not gifted
I drove them to 'locations'
My back must be covered

The smile smeared my cheeks
Ignored my eyes and emboldened the stars
I was gay and playful
I featured the roles in their staged minds
I belched the words their ears itched for

My talent, purely overrated 
Inside me, my heart ached for satisfaction not derived 
A natural actress I would have been
A natural role I should have played 
But my costume was embroidery of chameleon's garment

I craved for the troupe at the theatre
For their satisfactory smiles
Tho' they watched without penny
Their hearts beckoned my pretense 
Just one role I had to act...A Pretender
   

No comments:

Post a Comment